to write your own comedy biography
The point of the
comedy biography is two fold:
1) to give promoters an idea of the type of comedy act you are.
2) provide information for promoters to use when selling you to punters
biog should contain the following:
- At the top:
your name, contact telephone number , e-mail address and website if
- Underneath this
put the best newspaper quote you can find. This is so as to grab the
attention of the promoter - for the newbie comics don't worry about
this, since you will not have any newspaper quotes yet.
- First paragraph
- Very brief description of you, your act and you major selling point
to the punters.
- Joe Bloggs has only been performing on the comedy circuit 12 months,
but his lighting fast wit and rapor with the audience has made him a resident
compere at several club. Based in Manchester, Joe is already headlining
in comedy clubs in the North and Midlands.
- Second paragraph
if required can be used to provide more details, but most promoters
will skip this and go to the next section.
- List of comedy
clubs you have performed at - this will give promoters an indication
of what stage in the comedy ladder you are. If you perform regularly
at Jongleurs, then you are probably headline material.
- Also include
a list of: TV work; Radio work and Theatre appearances. Many TV and
Radio companies look through comedy biogs, looking for the next Joe
and Adam or Frank Skinner
and most importantly
- and this is how promoters will sell you to the punters - newspaper
or magazine quotes, plus any comedy competitions you have appeared
in the final of.